Context and challenges
In 2010, Vital was Unilever’s relationship program which offered content about beauty, fashion, health, relationships, house care and several other topics. The aim was to inform customers about brands, news and Unilever’s launches. The program had a portal and a magazine with 500,000 subscribers in print and 200,000 in digital version.
The main challenge was to expand the program's user base and engage consumers across the country.
Solution and execution
The solution proposed by MUV was to create the first free magazine distributed via MMS in Brazil. The choice of format was based mainly on the possibility of distribution to various mobile devices, including the simplest.
To gain new users, MUV prepared messages to be triggered to Claro’s subscribers base via LiveScreen, an operator’s technology that sends alerts and news to cell phones when they are in standby. By confirming the messages subscription, the user should inform his/her gender and age and, after reading the program rules, accept the weekly inbox, via MMS, of five stories on health, beauty and well-being - accordingly to each profile - as well as one of Unilever’s brand ad.
• In less than a month, the mobile magazine reached 200 thousand readers.
• Opt-out rates of only 9% up to end of the campaign.
• High levels of recall of Unilever’s brands that were on the mobile magazine.
• 2011 – Festival of Media LatAm: Highly Commended Award in Best Use of Mobile
• 2011 – MMA Awards: Relationship Building/LatAm Regional Winner
• 2011 – Mobile Merit Awards: Mobile Marketing Campaign
* MMS: acronym that stands for Multimedia Messaging Service in English, or, service of multimedia messaging. This technology allows transmissions of text, image, audio and video between cell phones or mobile devices and emails.