Context and challenges
In 2007, Unilever has developed a new line of hair products for teens: Seda Teens. The challenge was to reach girls from 12 to 17 years through traditional media. A study of the audience came to the conclusion that cell phones were essential in the lives of these girls.
Solution and execution
We proposed a mobile strategy to approach Unilever to its target audience. In a time when smartphones didn’t exist yet, we’ve developed for Seda Teens a social network that could be accessed by both the desktop website as by the cell phone’s WAP* portal. In it, the girls could record and update their profiles based on a number of behavioral issues.
Besides, the girls could visualize their friend’s profile and navigate looking for health, beauty, and horoscope tips, as well as interact in an area titled “Experts”, in which they asked questions about numerous issues: hair, behavior, fashion, sex etc.
To increase traffic volume on the Seda Teens mobile website, MUV has worked with the operators Claro, Vivo, TIM and Oi, an unprecedented fact in the country. Clickable banners that direct the user to the brand’s mobile website were displayed on these operators’ portals, impacting most of the mobile users at the time.
• Average click rate of 5%.
• Total of 360 thousand visits, double than desktop website.
Claro, Vivo, TIM, Oi and Nokia.
• 2010 – ProXXIma (one of the 5 best Mobile Marketing cases ever done in Brazil.)
• 2009 – Tela Viva Móvel: Mobile Marketing Interaction
• 2008 – MMA Awards: Best Use of Mobile Marketing – Branding (LatAm) and Product/Services Launch (LatAm)
* WAP: English acronym for Wireless Application Protocol. It is one of cellular wireless technology standards that allows users to access information from the internet via WAP browser.